hit counter html code THEY OUTNUMBER US NOW

Thursday, September 13, 2007

"H" is for Homeschool and for Halloween

well, we decided back at the beginning of the summer we were not going to send them to MDO this year. there are so many reasons to send them, and so many to not. emily has a late september birthday so she really should be in a pre-k, so i'm homeschooling her. emily wanted to make it as close to her old MDO as we could, so i let her help me with setting the schedule. it's going okay. it's a little hard because we have to do it around elliot's nap schedules, but that's okay. they both are very excited about the school in the gameroom. :)


i have a friend who works in a photography studio. a couple of months ago she asked me if she could shoot them in their costumes for an upcoming halloweeen/fall mailer they were doing. i told her sure, because i thought my mom was going to help me make emily's dorothy costume. it did not work out that way, i had to sew it myself. so, for two solid (almost) days i sewed a dorothy costume...i've only sewed one other dress (and it was super simple) for her. this dress was HARD!!! it had so many pieces! but, i was determined to do it, and i did. :) i think i did a pretty good job seeing as i'd never sewn anything that complicated before. i'd never done a hem before, i had no idea what some of the sewing terms were..so many firsts!! one thing that made it so hard was the bodice. the dress is all one piece! but one thing i do know now, i can sew anything!!

so anyway, today we took them in and dawn took their pictures. emily was super excited to be dorothy (mostly, i think, for the shoes), ethan was the scarecrow and elliot was the lion. ethan did ask me before we left where his stick was. he wanted to hang on a stick instead of stand up. silly boy. elliot is not pictured because he was napping, but he was the cutest lion. we borrowed a children's place lion from a friend, i want to keep it!!

i did not get elaborate AT ALL with ethan's scarecrow..but he did have some straw hanging out of his arms at the studio, and he did have some face paint on.
proud dorothy (don't tell her, but a part of her hem fell out!)

we told emily she'd have to put her dress up until it was time to trick-or-treat. it's going to be a looong month. i did tell her she could play with her shoes until then. i'll be vacuuming up red sparkles for years. :0

11 Comments:

Blogger Shandra said...

you go girl! i'm impressed! cute kiddos. i want to see the lion, but i'll wait until halloween!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Too cute! I don't think Hannah or Sarah would know any of the characters in the Wizard of Oz. Great job on the dress. I'm impressed! Love the red shoes!

What an adorable scarecrow, too!

Hannah and Sarah might want to come to the McNeal school, are you taking applications??

4:27 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

emily had no idea who dorothy was...i sorta picked it out for her. :) it was the easiest "theme" i could come up to make the pic cute.

today after the pictures we went out to eat. they were still in their costumes and people kept saying, aw, what a cute dorothy. emily asked us how they knew who dorothy was!

your great girls are welcome to enroll at the mcneal gameroom school...but hannah will have to eat white bread, and learn to read with hooked-on-phonics! :)

4:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is awesome! I love Dorthy and the scarecrow I hope I get to see the lion too! Maybe we will have to trick or treat at your house! Joy is going to be Minnie :)
If you ever need ideas or anything for your preschool let me know! Since I am back in working mode I have ideas coming out my ears!!

7:30 PM  
Blogger ashley said...

okay, you are a saint. home-schooling is not for me. i don't think i have the patience or the discipline... and i am very impressed you sewed the costume - i tried to sew a pair of pants once... NEVER again will i attempt something with a curve!

11:52 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

They look so cute! You did a great job on the dress - i'm lucky if I can sew on a button correctly.

8:40 AM  
Blogger meredith said...

I love the halloween costumes. They will be the cutest little trick or treaters. Sawyer was the lion from the children's place last year and it is was so cute. It will be hard to beat that this year.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so talented Michelle! And your kids are beautiful!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle you are so talented!!! I wished you lived closer to teach me how to sew!!

Hey, speaking of hs-ing...our kids are in preschool, specifically b/c I work two days a week at CCU. But, come next year Mr. J will be a Kindergartner and well, we are going to homeschool. Here, we have all-day K, plus they have an hour of homework a night...I am so NOT okay with that, neither is Jon. Plus, we travel to places like South Africa and Costa Rica and other places on missions trips or so he can teach and well, we want our kids with us, taking it all in, not just reading about it. Plus, we have no family anywhere near to help us with childcare, so they always come with us whenever we travel abroad...they are GREAT little travelers, too!

I never though I would be a homeschooling mom. Although I have worked with tons of homeschoolers while working for a music conservatory in WA state and even where I am working now, several of my students were homeschooled all the way from K to 12th grade.

I will continue to work two days a week at CCU (as not working is not an option, plus I need some 'me' time so why not get paid for it, right?)

I have a year to plan, prepare, etc. Sort of freaking out a bit, but it is all good:)

Have fun with your kiddos.

1:28 PM  
Blogger jill said...

So cute!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Jenny Ortis said...

As I often say...You're kids are so beautiful!!!

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home