hit counter html code THEY OUTNUMBER US NOW

Monday, April 23, 2007

Things that make me a terrible Texan

1. if i ever own a texas state flag, i'll NEVER fly it the same height as the US flag. sorry, but i don't care if texas was it's own country for about 15 minutes. have some respect for our flag people.

2. even though the pictures are cute, i don't think we'll ever make a yearly pilgrimage to a roadside field of lupinus texensis (texas bluebonnets). why worry unnecessarily about my beautiful fair-skinned children getting bit by a blue bonnet loving insect? or having them get their clothes stained? (i'm sure they would sit on a small blanket..) sorry, but if i want to take their pictures surrounded by a state flower, i can't think of a prettier picture than having them sit on the sprawling branches of a 100 year-old magnolia tree. i'm just sayin'. also, i ain't going an hour and a half away from home with three kids unless there is a vacation involved.

3. i'm not a fan of country music, and the only line dancing i'll EVER do is the freeze. by the way, i never even knew what that dance was until i went to a foot function at the BSU. i went to caddo magnet, and because we lacked a football team, we lacked serious dancing. i can really only remember going to one dance that was not homecoming/prom related. oh, and angie s. parker taught me how to do the freeze. thanks, ang. but anyway, why did texas have to re-name the fox trot the texas two step? how arrogant.

4. sorry, but i'm not going to start buying up all the aqua net at the CVS so i can have big texas hair. been there, done that in the 80's with the rest of the country. i've found the deeper in texas you go the bigger the hair gets.

5. HEB is okay, but give me Kroger any day. enough said.

6. i will NEVER have a humongous metal star decorating the front, side or inside of my house.

7. i will never shun a person for making a mistake like, "what are texas a & m colors, orange or maroon?" i recently had to clarify that because i was making a texas a & m mom a bag to take to her a & m mom's group meeting. the girl at hancock's thought i was kidding. nope, i just don't CARE what your school's colors are. --side note: i have a friend who is going to order something for a teacher-friend of hers who is having twins this may. she's ACTUALLY naming them Audrey (mabye it's abby, i can't remember) and Madeline -- get it, A & M. sad, very sad. let it go people, college is over.

8. i'm 35, almost 36. i've actually embraced my age, and i won't be having a botox party anytime soon.

9. i don't enjoy tejano music.

10. i'm offended when i hear people in my church say, "i'm a texas baptist." there's a difference between a texas baptist and a louisiana baptist? maybe it's the hair.

(i think my ear infection has made me a little crabby..)

14 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

What do you mean making a trip to take bluebonnet pics. We went to the field by my HEB...my favorite one by far. All the Krogers I've been too have been gross. Maybe we are living in different states...botox parties?? aqua net for big hair?? country music?? We don't have many of those things here. We do have to texas stars and the longhorn and aggie people. People naming their son Texan?? The thing that drives me nuts are the Keep Austin Weird groupies.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Do they give grown ups the pink stuff for ear infections too?

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am famous! glad that i could help with your mad dancing skills. texans that live in north carolina are obnoxious, too.

ps - this is my first ever comment. feel special.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

FINALLY! the most famous lurker of them all, ang, posted a comment! i've been trying for months to out you. :) i feel very honored. now i have to work on cara and dana..

deborah, Austin must be the kinder, gentler part of texas if you don't experience some of my things. but "keep Austin weird" -- that's crazy. and we have to drive to brenham to get pics with blue bonnets!! NO WAY!

i'm have an allergic reaction to the penicillin, so no pink stuff for me...

1:12 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

That is a long way for bluebonnet pictures, of course Brenham has some great ice cream! I still can't get over the botox parties!

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree on all accounts, especially the part that would cause an otherwise sane individual in their mid-forties to "whoop" in the middle of a church service simply because the pastor mentions the name College Station in his sermon.

**I do, however, have a big metal star adorning the wall in my living room. BUT, it was purchased out of my love for Pottery Barn, not Texas.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

texas baptist has to do with the split between the conservative and the moderate texas baptist conventions. too much division to concern myself with it...

and, it makes me sad that you have to drive to get pics in the bluebonnets. they are all over the side of the interstate here--easter weekend was a bit of craziness along I-20 with the bluebonnets. they grow in my parents neighborhood, too. i just think there's no point to driving for them. although, i do think they are pretty, i prefer the indian paintbrushes.

the hair thing must be a houston-humidity thing. i'm just not seeing too much of it up here...besides mine.

i love central market (an heb-owned operation). love, love, love it, but i'd prefer tom thumb over any other grocery store any day.

and, i, too, think the a&m/u.t. thing is stupid.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Having never lived in Texas, I'll take your word for it. I'm loving this post simply because it mentioned a "foot function at the BSU"!

8:19 AM  
Blogger a likens said...

Texas is not all bad. My first year teaching, I had to teach Texas history. Not quite as interesting or colorful as Louisiana History. We always have that going for us.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try living in College Station...with the A&M stuff. But unless you are an Aggie or married to one, you will never "get it." It's actually a pretty cool "family" thing when networking! :) WHOOP! hehe! Michelle...some orders will be coming in from me....my friend that had Lilly Grace called me last night to tell me how much she loved the stuff! YOU ARE AMAZING!!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Shandra said...

awww...i want to get some pics of andrew in the bluebonnets. supposedly there is a place down woodlands parkway.

i agree w/ the rest...i think. i can't remember everything.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

i don't even know what a bluebonnet is or HEB for that matter. and i heart kroger but for the first time in 8 or so years i do not live in a town that has one. been around an aggie though. no comment on that one...

9:26 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

stacy -- and you still live and breathe. amazing.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't stop laughing! I already have a dress for Joy to wear in the bluebonnets for her picture next year!
As far as the Aggie thing, it's in the blood, I think our families blood is actually maroon, and my friend Susan, well her blood is burnt orange.
Country music I could take or leave, but hated it until I moved to Florida.
I also got over the big hair in the 80's but I think Aqua Net is sold out in most small Texas towns.
I also love the Kroger, never understood HEB (but my sister is a huge fan!)
I guess buying you a huge metal star as a gift for your new house would not work (don't you think it would look nice in the entry way j/k)
Texas is like you said a place where your family is, and that is why I came back here (after I swore I would never return) I even bought Rob the bumper sticker I wasn't born a Texan but I got here as fast as I could. Should I pass it on to you :)

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home