hit counter html code THEY OUTNUMBER US NOW

Sunday, January 29, 2006

What am I all about?

i've done some searching today, and for the life of me i can't find any site that explains the "rules" of blogging. what are the grammar requirements? how long or short should a blog be?? what can you post?? what should you post?? do you know if you are "blogworthy"?

in no order, here are some insights into me & my blogging. (but for those who know me the first should come at no surprise)

i was NOT a english major in school, nor did well in the required grammar class i took; i barely scraped by with a 70. my blogging will reflect that. if you are a grammar whiz, un-bookmark my blog - i promise i'll disappoint you.

a big reason i blog is to get out feelings my three year-old and my almost two year-old just can't understand. most days they are the only two people i talk to, and not to slight them, but they just don't get what i'm saying sometimes. forgive me (not really) if i do post something i'm feeling that day about losing my only sibling, my brother (50 days ago today). honestly i'm pretty messed up about it, so i us MY online diary to express myself.

i may post twenty random thoughts without one of them being funny. and if they happen to be funny, kudos to the way i typed it out, because most of the time nothing i post is intended to make you laugh. i don't post to be funny - if you only want to read posts that make you laugh, don't expect my blog to fulfill you in that way.

also, i'm not trying to impress anyone - even my fellow bloggers on my links list. i'm certainly not trying to lure others in to reading my blog with my creative writing skills - i ain't got any. i know after a while, my "link friends" will stop reading & commenting. one day our blogging fun will end, and i'm cool with that. in reality, i blog to procrastinate my time away. the time i spend blogging should in reality be spent on cleaning my house, or spending time with my kids. so in other words, i know someday my blogging will stop abruptly - probably when i kick out this third kid.... i'm not posting to have lots of people i don't know read my blog. if i bore you, let this be the last post you read. but honestly, i don't think i've lost my audience - stacy and bufkin are still reading....

another thought on how long someone reads a blog/has a blog. a few years ago, about 15 girls from the BSU years of 1993-1997 participated in a yahoo group. we loved the group. we had tons of interesting conversations. well, sadly, members of the group stopped posting and it died. may p31ladies rest in peace. we are joyful though - most of the girls who were a part of p31ladies blog now!!!!

so, here's what i believe blogs should be about: any darn thing you want it to be about. please blog about things that are not funny, grammatically incorrect or just plain dumb. tell me about the things you are struggling about in your walk with the Lord - because trust me, i'm going to tell you. tell me about the stupid kids who live next door to you & how fun it is to be a homeowner. tell me about how ticked off you are your car is a broke-down mess. or, tell me how exciting it is to watch your six month-old get up on all fours and rock back and forth. know that i'm there with you; i've been in the working world and know how stupid people are; i've had a car i wish i could have traded in - and odds are i've just finished cleaning up poop that leaked out of ethan's diaper, or have just sneaked in to watch my kids peacefully sleep.

so anyway, there are no rules i've found. blog away about what you are all about.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

i agree...there are no rules for blogging. i like reading them however someone chooses to write them. i love that every single blog reflects a different person's personality, and, like all of us, no two blogs are alike. this whole blogging thing has been such a blessing in many of our lives. we are able to keep up with each other (in both deep and surface-y ways) in a way that we haven't been able to before.

thanks for your openness and honesty.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

i started my blog to reconnect with my Christian friends and i've enjoyed the encouragement and laughs. my friends understand that sometimes i need to post something silly like a crush story. especially after finding out in a span of one week that one of my spiritual mentors has died, my best friend of 7 yrs has written me out of his life, and the IMB for whom i've trained for the past 10 years to be a part of has all but rejected me because of my MS. and my friends, for whom my blog is intended, know my heart and don't judge me or tell me i'm an idiot for posting such a thing. because they know that sometimes it's ok to laugh and not dwell on the reality. because we are all the body of Christ and we know that as such we will choose to trust in the One who has never let us down. but right now when the reality is still fresh, i like having the outlet to smile and be goofy without being analyzed by those for whom my blog was never intended. so michelle, i'll continue to support your sock puppets and poopy diaper stories b/c that's what a p31lady is for!

12:30 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

I enjoy reading your blog because it IS you. I'm glad you are real - I wouldn't want to read it otherwise... Keep blogging and I'll keep reading!

Yes, I think you wished me Happy Birthday earlier, so I'll let you slide on this one.... ha ha :-)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Shandra said...

I think blogging is great. It's brought me closer to people that I didn't really get to know in college. It definitely gives me something to do when I should be cleaning or cooking. I would also have to say that somewhere I read that a blog is an "online journal"...and we all know what a journal is. So I have enjoyed reading about what goes on in everyones life... funny or not. I've enjoyed getting to know people better and most of all...I've enjoyed sharing my life with you all.
Hope this makes sense as Andrew is fighting to get the keyboard!! So blog on sista friends!!!
Michelle...great deep thoughts! Glad you care about my child getting up on all fours!! :) He's so gifted! Maybe I should call my blog a brag and just brag about my child!! :) ...oh wait!...I already do that!

8:57 AM  
Blogger elly said...

Michelle - I too read every one of your blogs and love them. I read everyones blogs (BSUers)and don't care if they are funny, sad, lame, boring - I just like hearing what's going on in people's lives!

11:26 AM  
Blogger meredith said...

Well, I am not your mom or your best friend, but I read all of your blogs and love hearing about your lives. I think being real is more important than being creative unless you are turning in an English paper.

Thanks for being real!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

i just signed in to our yahoo group and it looks like we were going strong for almost a year back in '01. then it fizzled with just spatterings through '02 and '03. good times, good times...

7:41 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I love all of our blogs too, Michelle. As you can tell, I never have anything exciting to say but I know I better blog before people start making commments on my laziness. :) I wish I could have been at your house for lunch yesterday. Smelled good! :)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

You are lots of fun. I hope poop doesn't start leaking out of Jolie's diapers. That hasn't been a big problem - yet.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok u have no idea who i am, but i'm the inlaw that shan ACTUALLy likes (at least i think so)... anywho, enjoyed the blog...

8:24 PM  
Blogger Shandra said...

Why won't it post my comment!!???

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home